Pages

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

RIP to Our Dog Civic "Greyfriar's Bobby"


It's been a while since I've posted. I have a lot of catching up to do but this entry will be a very sad and disturbing one as we've experienced a death in the family recently.



RIP 2006-2014

On Friday evening before my mother went to bed and I went in my room for the night, we let my dog outside for his nightly bathroom break. This time (like many other times before) he decided to be a little punk and take off out of his yard. He's done it before and never stayed out long (especially at night) and always came back to the garage where we would find him the next morning. Most of the time we'd also go out a looking for him but that day it was severely cold out, snowy and very late. We figured he would find his way back after he had his fun. We threw his blanket out in the garage to keep him warm once he returned. The next morning as I slept, my mother looked out in the garage and Civic wasn't there. She decided to drive up and down the road looking for him but still no sign of him. After a long attempt at searching, she came back home and waited. The neighbor called and said he had found Civic in his backyard and that it didn't look too good. My mother frantically took off down the road after him and I woke up to a phone call from her a few hours later. Crying, my mother told me the news: Our dog was severely attacked by coyotes down by the lake. He managed to escape and tried to make it home but it was too much for him to handle so he fell over in the neighbors yard where we had found him. Mother told me when she got to the scene, Civic recognized it was her and wagged his tail but couldn't do anything more. She rushed him to the vet but the wounds were too severe and they had to put him down. They told us even with many surgeries, the wounds inside would still be infected and he wouldn't make it long, regardless. This has undoubtedly been one of the hardest deaths I ever had to experience.

Civic (nicknamed Greyfriar's Bobby) was one of the cutest and smartest dogs I have ever known. He was a best friend to all and he would try his hardest to bring so much joy to everyone's life. He knew tons of tricks and hundreds of words of the English language. He spent most of his days sitting in the living room window watching over the house from stray cats and visitors. He hated to be left out and would follow you everywhere you went.


The day we adopted him, July 2006.

Civic was too smart even for his own good. He would literally wait for the perfect time to try and manipulate us, but we could never stay mad at him for too long because he was just too cute. He would occasionally wake up with the hair on his face smashed to the side and it was just adorable. Since I've been home most of the time, I have spent a lot of time with him. Talking to him on a regular basis, getting on the floor to play with him, giving him big hugs are all moments I will forever cherish. I considered him one of my best friends. My whole family has been crying ever since he has gone. He was a middle-aged dog (for his breed) so we had planned on spending a few more years with him but sadly this accident took him from us. My mother and father are very angry and plan on going hunting very soon to find the coyotes that did this to him.

As for me; I've been constantly thinking about him for the past three nights and even though I know he is in a better place (probably lying on a big fluffy pile of stuffed animals) I still find myself crying off and on. I already miss him so much and will continue to do so till the day I die. My parents have given his collar to me where I had put it on my stuffed reindeer that I sleep with every night. So that I can think of him and have him by my side forever and always.


One of the many Christmases that we've spent with him.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Goodbye our little friend! I hope we have treated you well and brought much joy to your life as you have done for ours. I wish we could have spent even more time with you but the time we did have, will be forever cherished. We all love you and miss you very much! Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment